Special Use Permits

The National Park Service is required to manage special park uses, including special events like weddings and commercial use, like guided tours or businesses that operate within the park boundaries. A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area that

-provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large;
-requires written authorization and some degree of management control from NPS in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
-is not prohibited by law or regulation;
-is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and
-is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.

Below, you will find pages for common activities in the park that require a special use permit.


You would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful place than Rocky Mountain National Park to hold your wedding! Read on to learn if the national park is the right place for your big day.

Scattering Ashes

Rocky Mountain National Park is such a special place that many people want their ashes to be scattered here after they pass away. The National Park Service allows this, but there is a process that needs to be followed...